October 2, 2008

Black and White Chocolate Chippers

I'm sure you've passed by Paradise Bakery at the mall- I certainly have, but I'd never eaten there. Now that I've tried the cookies, I know why everyone is eating there. Wow. One bite of that sample cookie and I knew I was hooked. Why are their cookies so delicious?! Do they use more butter? And they are so soft! I've tried a couple of flavors but the black and white chocolate chippers- soft, chewy, and not-too rich- those keep me coming back for more. So when a craving for these cookies hit Sunday afternoon, a quick Google search led me to Picky Palate. I'd tried another copycat recipe and the results were disastrous (a no egg cookie will not be trusted again in my house, let me tell you). But these little chippers... they are heavenly. For cocoa powder, I used Hershey's special dark. It gave the cookies an alarmingly dark chocolate color and the taste was absolutely perfect. I have four different cocoas in my pantry since every recipe seems to call for a different one. I finally read up on the differences and found this nice explanation. I also used Ghiradelli white chocolate chips. I love the size and taste- I just try to stock up when they are on sale and get the best of both worlds, price and quality. Chopped white chocolate would be even better if you have it.

Black and White Chocolate Chippers
Adapted from Picky Palate and Genesis of a Cook
Note: I used my regular cookie scoop and this recipe yielded about 40 cookies. I flattened them a tiny bit before baking so they weren't too round and puffy (I like them a little more uniform). These cookies are so rich that I would recommend making the cookies small and serving them with milk! (I would have used that darling little scoop they have at Williams Sonoma if I owned it- this is one cookie I wouldn't use my big ice cream scoop for!)

1 3/4 cups Flour (Be sure to level off- you don't want too much)
1 1/4 cups Cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter, softened
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extrat
2 cups white chocolate chips (One bag of Ghiradelli chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare baking sheets (Grease or line with Silpat or parchment paper).

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside.

Cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes in the KitchenAid). Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addiction. Add vanilla and mix once to combine.

With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry mixture, stirring until just incorporated. Fold in white chocolate chips. Scoop onto the prepared cookie sheet and squish slightly if flatter cookies are desired.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until fluffy but still soft. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with milk and store in an airtight container.

13 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous photo.
    I need to make these, soon!
    Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly and thanks for including the info about making them smaller, as to not be overwhelmed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I love chocolate cookies and white chocolate- it's the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paradise Bakery has the BEST cookies! The sugar ones are my favorite, but the chippers are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like everything about those but the white chocolate. Hmm. Maybe they would be good without it? I'll definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love this cookie and make it often. I am going to have to invest in a little scoop, sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! They look so dark they could be a good spooky treat! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  8. They REALLY are black and white. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good place to get white chocolate in bulk bars is Trader Joe's. Just chop them up to use as chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to try this!! I have been craving Paradise Bakery's version for sooo long. Thx!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good and I been wanting to try Hersheys Special Dark Cocoa. I did make a call to a Paradise Bakery I go to and talked the guy who answered the phone into giving me the recipe for their chocolate chip chippers. Well I got part of the amounts anyway. He actually asked another employee the amounts and she told him. Then she asked him (and Im still on the phone hearing them, lol) "why do you wana know"? He said, "a lady on the phone wants the recipe". She said, "your not suppose to do that". Too late! He did and she did. Wow, talk about breaking company policy! He said they use 3 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup sugar and lots of butter, shortening and eggs to make them rich. "Well thank you very much for your time", I said. Now, if your a good baker, know a little math and know the 1 - 2 - 3 cookie dough ratio of sugar, butter, flour, then it wont take much to figure the amounts for the rest of the recipe based on the sugar amounts he gave me and the other ingredients. Maybe once I figure it all out and succeed at attempting the recipe I'll rename the cookie- "2 Fools Chocolate Chippers"! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa! What an amazing comment! Thanks for sharing, I love love love this!

    ReplyDelete