October 30, 2008

Mexican Winter Squash Soup

A couple of weeks ago I posted about left over pumpkin and how it was finding it's way to our table for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. During that time, we had a family Halloween party and everyone needed costumes. My son was dressing as a Dalmatian so we completed the deal by dressing as Roger and Anita from 101 Dalmatians. My mom still needed a costume and when we turned on Barefoot Contessa she looked at me and said, "I'll be Ina!" She has the haircut so it was all set. We were already bringing chili to dinner but decided we needed an Ina recipe for her to bring.

With leftover pumpkin in the fridge and a roasted squash ready to be used this soup came together quickly. The flavors were tasty but a needed a bit more, so I did a quick search and found Martha Stewart's Mexican Winter Squash soup. I added a few flavors from that recipe, lightened them both up a little, and ended up with a delicious, fall soup that still has a little kick. Perfect. I also got to use my new Martha Stewart cast iron "chili pan". It aspires to be classy French cookware, but at only $9 (Macy's has the best clearance!), I'll just pretend it's covered in red enamel. I love that it goes from stove top to oven and I have the feeling it will be making a lot more soups in the next little while.

Mexican Winter Squash Soup
adapted from Martha Stewart and Ina Garten
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Cups Chopped Yellow Onions
1 15 ounce Can Pumpkin Puree (not Pumpkin Pie Filling)
1 1/2 Pounds Butternut Squash, Peeled, roasted, and cut into chunks
6 Cups Chicken Stock
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 Chipotle pepper (from a Chipotle in adobo can)
1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the Chipotle peppers)
1/4 bunch of Cilantro, stems and leaves
2 tablespoons half and half or sour cream

Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the onions and cook over medium low for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, the butternut squash, chicken stock, salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin. Cover and simmer over medium low for about 15 minutes. Add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and cilantro and blend with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth. Add extra chicken stock if the soup is too thick and add seasoning as necessary. Top with a drizzle of half and half, extra cilantro or croutons and serve.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of the soup! And, wow, your mother does have a strong resemblance to Ina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I hope she's a hit as Ina Garten!

    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything that has pumpkin and this looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I would love this. I am so into winter squash right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy looking soup. Fun that your mom was Ina. I love Ina. I love seeing all you Ina cooks every week do her stuff. Maybe someday I'll join, but I can barely keep up with TWD for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That drizzle of half and half at the end looks great. And your mom does look like Ina, so much so that I think non-foodies would confuse them if she carried around the book like that on Halloween and think she was just self-promoting. :)

    ReplyDelete