December 23, 2008

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Everyone has their thing. I, for one, will never buy frosting. It tastes awful and I can't handle store bought flavor. I will also only buy Heinz ketchup. It's probably petty and certainly ridiculous but even when the budget is tight, I'd rather buy half as much ketchup and wait until a sale than stare at a "western family catsup" bottle every time I open the fridge and dip into something not quite right.

However, with cupcakes... I'm not so die hard. I've had some delicious home made cupcakes and some too-dry-for-all-the-effort homemade cupcakes. So, I know some people will click this window shut when they see a cake mix, and some will say, "finally, something I'll actually make." I guess you can't please everyone, but I promise these cupcakes do. I found this recipe about six years ago in the Arizona Republic. They take me right back to my wedding and the most beautiful cake I ever saw. These are fast, moist, and delicious. I've made them using yellow, lemon, chocolate, and other cake mixes. With the hustle of the holidays, I don't think you'll miss all the measuring and sifting. And I'll be back to crazy, 100 percent homemade desserts once I have a real kitchen again (moving is sure tricky!)

Note: I decorated these with Wilton's Jumbo Nonpareil sprinkles, generously donated by Auburn. I'm crazy enough that I just picked out the green ones. Good thing my husband wasn't home, he would have seriously doubted me there.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 cup sour cream (reduced fat is fine)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ounce red food coloring (one small bottle)
1 box German chocolate cake mix

Preheat the oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients in stand mixer and beat for two minutes until combined. Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, scoop into 24 paper-cup lined muffin tins.

Bake for 21-24 minutes or until cupcakes spring back slightly when touched and a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on racks and frost once completely cooled.

Cream Cheese Frosting


1 package of cream cheese, softened (I like to use Neufchatel, less fat and I don't notice much difference)
1/2 cup butter, softened (one stick)
2 Tablespoons milk
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or the seeds of one vanilla pod, scraped
dash of salt
6 cups of powdered sugar (more or less to achieve desired consistency, this is a baseline)
1 Tablespoon meringue powder

In a mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the milk, vanilla, and salt, and blend.

Next, add the powdered sugar and meringue powder, cover the bowl of the mixer with a dish towel, and turn it on low until everything is combined. Then increase the speed for a minute or so until the frosting is light, fluffy, and delicious. The meringue powder will help set the frosting after it dries so it holds its shape.

Variation:
Add 1 T. Lemon or orange zest and substitute juice for the milk to make a tangy citrus frosting

17 comments:

  1. These looks so scrumptious! Now you have me wanting one, I guess I will have to make them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do look delicious. I admit to liking cake mix cupcakes - it's the texture. Do you have any of the Anne Byrn "Cake Mix Doctor" books? Interestingly, she is also a stickler for homemade frosting (on top of her cake mix cakes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look scrumptious. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!
    Merry Christmas!
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog, check it out if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree.. nothing beats Heinz and homemade frosting. That cream cheese frosting looks delicious! The last time I made it, I must have overpulsed in the food processor and it turned really liquidy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! My husband is the same way! Heinz is it for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red velvet.. I have not had a red velvet anything is SO long... Have a Happy Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  8. box mixes are wonderful! I have a stash of a few different kinds in my pantry. i'm definitely not a sandra lee type but box cake mixes come out just as good, if not better, than every cake i've made from scratch. plus you can still play and add flavor and moisture to the cake however you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet that cream cheese frosting is delicious with these cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious!

    Happy Holidays :)

    ~ Julius
    from Occasional Baker

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit that I am all sweetened out from the holidays but these look so so yummy!! I am already thinking a head to a Super Bowl party that we are invited to where I was asked to bring a BIG plate of baked goodies. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Growing up, we always had red velvet cake (I am originally from North Carolina) and now I live in the Boston area, so, I miss it terribly. Thanks for reminding me that I needed to whip up some red velvet goodness soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Anne! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!! Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look amazing! I have been so dissapointed with dry cupcakes so I am excited to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, I came to your site (which is awesome) looking for the recipe for the red velvet cake you made us for Law Partners, and this is the closest I could find. Can you get me the other recipe?
    I want you to know that I make your quiche often and still love it. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete