January 13, 2009

TWD- Spicy Southwestern Cornbread

I love cornbread and was excited about this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection (although I have to admit it's one of the least photogenic so far!) My grandmother used to make hers out of yellow cake mix so I like it sweet or spicy. I have to say, a little pepper goes a long way in dressing it up. This recipe features freshly ground pepper, chopped bell pepper, and canned green chilies. Dorie suggests jalapenos but for the sensitive stomachs around I opted for the milder chilies. I think I kind of over did it by adding lots of pepper jack cheese, but it was gooey and delicious. I added the chili powder she recommended but didn't love it, so I'll leave it out next time. I think the color will be better and the flavor, too.

Being the new year and all, I subbed in some whole wheat flour. No one was the wiser. That's how I like it. Check out the fabulous Ezra Pound Cake for the original recipe or see my version below. Either way, there's plenty of options for substitutions and preferences- I love it!

Spicy Southwestern Cornbread
adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk to fill one cup, allowed a few minutes to curdle)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can mild green chilies
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 slices pepper jack cheese, chopped into 1/2 inch squares

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, and baking soda.

In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter and egg yolk together until well blended.

Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – the batter will be lumpy, and that’s just the way it should be. Stir in the corn kernels, cilantro, bell pepper, chilies, and pepper jack cheese.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden and a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

31 comments:

  1. I think your cornbread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm the spicy pepperjack cheese sounds like the PERFECT addition! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pondered the pepperjack cheese, it sounds so good. What really sounds good is your grandmother's cornbread. I love sweet cornbread and the yellow cake mix sounds like it would make a really moist cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Anne!

    You're right though... it really does not take great pictures, it took me forever to figure out how to simply make it look eadible! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pepperjack cheese sounds great for these! And of course, your cornbread looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very authentic looking cornbread. I think they were very hard to photograph too! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful.

    I left out the chili's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pepper jack cheese must have been great in these! I love all of your subs. I was a little disappointed with mine, but I'm going to try your variations next time. Thanks, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pictures! Your cornbread was so colorful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your additions and subtractions sound wonderful...and the photos clearly show that they were very fine muffins! I so wanted to sneak some cheese in there...next time, I am going to try that as well. Always the first go around, I am such a nerd, I make them EXACTLY like Dorie says and then later I vary it up a bit. Usually with things I find over here each week! LOL! Great job.

    www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the addition of pepperjack cheese, Anne! I agree that this is not the most photogenic of the TWD recipes we've made, but it sure was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good!!! I love pepperjack cheese. I actually found some potato chips flavored like pepperjack. I will make your cornbread next time I make chili.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cheese addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cornbread looks great! But I would love to learn your Grandma's recipe, with the yellow cake mix. Sounds like that would be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice way to make them healthy. I love the idea of adding cheese. (Hand palm against forehead...). They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, yellow cake mix cornbread?! I'd love to try that one

    ReplyDelete
  17. whole wheat flour is a great idea and if I made these again I would definitely add cheese

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking corn muffins! I love the addition of whole wheat flour - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with the pepperjack addition - fabulously zippy! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did some of the same substitutions, and I reluctantly left out cheese. Next time, I'll add it! I think the muffins are cute in pictures, with all their bright colors.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your muffins look super yummy! I love the great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cornbread looks great. I've heard about that cornbread made with a cake mix, it is supposed to be as good as dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The addition of the cheese sounds perfect. I had an issue with the crumbly texture and I bet adding cheese would have resolved it. I think your muffins turned out fantastic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum pepper jack cheese sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought about subbing whole wheat, but in the end I didn't, so I'm glad to know that it works out. The cornbread looks like it turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great Anne! I love cornbread, and the southwestern flare sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that you put in some spice here. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. your changes sound really great, esp the pepper jack cheese! great job:)

    ReplyDelete