June 2, 2009

Pink Raspberry Cream Sandwich Cookies to Celebrate

It's Tuesday and instead of a delicious cinnamon cake, I've made a perfect party cake (early) and a few dozen cupcakes for my tall man's Grandma's 90th birthday, loads of cookies, and a newly refinished front door. Maybe the door doesn't fall in the "making" category, but it's certainly taken up lots of baking time and the end results of the newly stained dark chocolate colored wood are delicious. So I present one of my favorite cookie recipes- Martha Stewart's Raspberry Cream Sandwich Cookies. Layered between two vanilla bean cookies is a creamy raspberry white chocolate ganache that lends itself to other delicious flavors- chocolate, mint, strawberry, whatever strikes your fancy.

I made these last summer to give to a friend who had just had a beautiful baby girl so I figured they were appropriate to celebrate my upcoming little girl! That's right, it's a girl. We found out about a month ago but the doctor only gave me a 90 percent certainty which just wasn't enough for me to believe him with my husband's family's strong man genes. After another ultrasound last week, I finally do believe him and I can't believe it's a little girl. My man is excited to have a little sweetie and my little guy is (theoretically) excited to have a little sister like his favorite Caillou. I'm just glad to know I'll have someone to keep me company in the kitchen, although my little guy is pretty good at that for now. We're all happy about this healthy, beautiful baby and these cookies are perfect to celebrate. They even taste great with mint filling (I use Guittard Mint Chips) but those would have been more for the boy variety...

I'll be back next week with Dorie's Parisian Apple Tart. I certainly couldn't skip something with apples or puff pastry (not to mention something French!)

Raspberry Cream Sandwich Cookies
From Martha Stewart's Cookies, page 93

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
6 ounces (1 cup) fresh raspberries
7 1/2 ounces best-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream (add 1 t. Meringue Powder)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Mix butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg, extract, and vanilla seeds; mix until smooth. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture.
3. Scoop batter using a 1-inch ice cream scoop; space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake cookies 4 minutes. Remove from oven; gently tap baking sheets on counter to flatten cookies. Return to oven, switching positions of sheets; bake until cookies are just set, 4 to 6 minutes more. Let cool on parchment on wire racks.
5. Puree raspberries and remaining 2 teaspoons sugar in a food processor. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a small bowl, pressing to extract juice; discard seeds. Set mixture aside.
6. Melt white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat; whisk in cream in a slow stream. Whisk in reserved raspberry mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
7. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon raspberry cream on the undersides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container up to 2 days (no way will they last that long, though!)

39 comments:

  1. Congrats on the wonderful news! A sweet little girl!

    The cookies look amazing and delicate. The pink center: very appropriate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big congrats on your baby girl! What a perfect treat to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on having a girl. That didn't happen at our house!
    I made those Martha Raspberry cookies once last year. Yummy and pretty.
    I love that--dark chocolate door. Mmmm! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Wonderful that you're expecting a girl! These cookies are very cute and sound delicious. I love dark chocolate anything, but as a front door it's very dramatic. I'm also looking forward to the apple tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What adorable cookies...and congratulations on the great girl news! You will get a lot of "How perfect - one of each!" comments, and after only 8 weeks experience of having one of each, I can tell you it's pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the pink news! The cookies look yummy and festive for ababy girl. I will have to try them! :) KIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on having a girl! These cookies look great! I am so in love with sandwich cookies-I have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your baby daughter AND your pretty in pink cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! You must be so excited. These pink cookies are quite fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on your baby girl in-the-making! :) How wonderful for you all!!

    Cookies look sooo great!! Must be a 'think pink' week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wahoo!!! I'm so happy for you, Anne! Congratulations. :)

    The cookies look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations!!!! That's so fun! The cookies looks so yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yahoo!! Congratulations on that beautiful, gorgeous, and healthy little girl you have there!! Such wonderful news for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the girl!

    Can I vote for the name: Meghan?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! When are you due? After 2 girls, we're having a boy in a couple months. Girls are so fun, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!

    The cookies look great, the sous chefs love sandwich cookies. I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post and delightful cookies. Congratulations on your wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulaitons! The cookies look great and I hope the cake turned out well. I look forward to seeing it posted at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am very excited about the girl too! food looks great, i hate looking on here because it only makes me want to taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your baby girl news! The ultrasound is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! And your cookies are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! What a great way to celebrate. The cookies look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww! A sweet little girl to enter your world. Congratulations!
    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, lucky you... one of each! LOL. Congratulations :)

    Your pink sandwich cookies are perfect for a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're so cute! Congratulations on a little girl! I just had a boy (my first) as I hoped, but now I am worried I will have all boys and not a girl! It is so fun! I can't wait to check back on you!
    Kasha
    http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations!! Raspberry cream sandwich cookies are looking yummy... It is great way to celebrate...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect cookies for your perfect news. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats on your having a girl! The cookies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh so yummy. Can I have some? Maybe we can have a baking day next time I'm in town. I would love that! Little Girlie...so happy that she will join our fam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. How exciting! Loved the Caillou comment--both my girls are big fans. And the cookies look great--I love raspberry anything.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on your baby girl!

    These are beautiful cookies and I'm sure they taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations!
    (And your cookies are adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Annie im so happy for you its a baby girl..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Best wishes for your baby girl! The pink cookies are just adorable. I have a friend who is due in July. If it turns out to be a girl, I will definately surprise her with a batch of these goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations Anne i pray it would be a healthy baby soon to come..

    ReplyDelete
  37. a new baby blessing is here... congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wonder if these would be purple if I used blackberries from my garden. . .

    Congratulations on your baby!

    ReplyDelete