February 9, 2010

Super Peanut Butter Cheesecake Swirl Brownies

{printable recipe here}
This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is a simple, rich brownie. I love love love brownies. Of all the desserts I made they are probably my favorite (that and cheesecake) but I couldn't squeeze this recipe in. However, last minute my parents had a Super Bowl party and last minute (as in during the actual game) we decided we needed something sweet so I made my go-to brownies. I swirled in reduced fat cream cheese and broken Dove candies filled with Peanut butter for an extra surprise. They are kind of (I REALLY hate to say it) semi-homemade but when you're in a real hurry and the kids are crying semi is better than not at all. Maybe I'll eat my words on that later and maybe some of you will "unfriend" me or whatever but these brownies were eaten quicker than they were made. Which is saying something.

I like to line my pan with two pieces of aluminum foil- the first "hot dog style" folded to the width of the pan, the second "hamburger style" over the first. Then grease, then pour, then bake, then lift out beautiful brownies. Plus, if you're like me and have your husband take the brownies out, he'll ensure they aren't overly gooey like mine usually are. Ah, perfection is a close as a hastily lined brownie pan. Really, though, don't the scraped out and mangled brownies kind of ruin it for you? Try this next time or just let me know if I'm the only one who cares about such things.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a $50 giftcard to the Safeway family of stores here and see the rest of the real "brownies for Julia" at the TWD Blogroll.


Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
from Anne Strawberry

{printable recipe here}

1 package Betty Crocker Deluxe brownie mix (I like the one with the chocolate chunks, not the fudge), prepared as instructed on the box
1 package Neufchatel (reduced fat) Cream Cheese (softened- on the counter or in the microwave on low power for one minute)
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
10 Dove chocolates filled with peanut butter, broken into quarters (or your favorite candy bar, nut, etc)

Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare brownies as directed on the box and pour into prepared 9 x 13 baking dish.

In a small bowl, whip the cream cheese until soft and smooth (about one minute). Add the egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix until well combined. Dollop spoonfuls evenly over the brownies, drop on the candy, and use a butter knife to carefully swirl the pattern by pulling it through the batter until desired look is achieved.

Bake for about 30 minutes until they are done as you like them (gooey for me, just set for my Tall Man).

11 comments:

  1. These look fabulous, Anne! I think everyone needs and easy go-to recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding the candy to the recipe makes it your own. Don't let a mix fool you; this is your recipe. I don't usually use mixes but this sounds good, the way it is and I might just buy one.

    I used to keep some Duncan Hines in the house for those moments, like you, I found I had to get something going without the time to do it. They were as good as my own.

    I still like to make my own. It is a false sense of pride and I know it.

    The TWD brownies were delicious. You might want to try them, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Anne--these look fabulous! You had me at peanut butter and cheesecake...but throwing brownie in there too?!? Bet these are amazingly delicious! Thanks for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm... cheesecake. Ok you're forgiven :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm...cheesecake and brownies? helllo! Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my oldest (now 22 & yes time flies) was younger
    I used Martha White brownie mixes for all those summertime baseball games and gatherings. he he with a little extra choc-o-chip addition. So that was my go to. Not as good as yours not doubt yum and they are beautiful eye candy too.
    Great job.
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh... YUM!!! Brownies and cheese cake are at the top of my list. Put them together and you have the perfect dessert. But adding PB. Beyond delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, that last comment is me, Meg, logged in as Christian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had a YUMMY cheesecake brownie before. They never seem to live up to my expectations. But your recipe looks so promising I have to try again!

    ReplyDelete