September 14, 2010

TWD- Nectarine Upside Down Cake

PhotobucketMy family suffers from birthday clump up- my husband's, brother's, mine, and now Baby Strawberry's birthday are all within a couple of weeks. It's wonderful but crazy and when I found myself making yet another birthday dessert last week I hoped everything would align, knowing this summer time "Cranberry Upside downer" was important- going to my hubby's work! I also made the apple tart that morning, took care of two kiddos, and was all ready to leave when it was time to flip the cake onto the platter. I'm sure you can see the beginning from the end- the cake topped all over my baking sheet and table (which was thankfully clean, even if it isn't fancy and pretty like all these lovely kitchen tables) and was not interested in going back together! I was already late (as usual it seems) and there was no time to make something new, so I put it in my pretty red hobnail bowl and wished for the best.

Fortunately, Dorie delivered and even crumpled, this was one of the most delicious Dorie treats I've made yet! Of course, I was still pretty frazzled from the tragedy and while I remembered my camera bag, I forgot to put my camera inside! So all we have for pictures is the tiny bit of leftovers we brought back from my tall man's work. This stuff was yummy, I'm telling you! CSN Stores has offered to let me review something and I think I should finally get a cast iron skillet (of course I'm loving the expensive, red, Le Creuset one here but I'm sure I could be happy with something more practical like this). The first step to make the cake is to cook the sugar and butter together to make the glaze for the fruit. I bet I could do that step in the skillet, line up the fruit, and pour in the batter (not unlike the Tart Tatin). Throw it in the oven, pull it out and serve ice cream or whipped cream right on top, what do you think?

2010-09-08_15-30-51_693.jpg
I have some new nectarines on the counter and can't wait to make this again- skillet method or even served right out of a bowl! Even blurry phone-pic Baby Strawberry wants more cobbler/cake/deliciousness- and I can't get her to eat fruit most days, despite her nickname! Thank you Sabrina for such a great choice! Get the recipe from her blog here (or buy the book already, it's wonderful!)

14 comments:

  1. Nectarines is one fruit I would never have thought of for this cake. You are very creative and it looks very tasty. We really liked this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and yea, I was your first comment this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Strawberry is just way to cute.

    I bet it was wonderful anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. Once my son dropped a pile of plates--glass flew everywhere. The 2 beautiful fruit pizzas I had just created for a family party were covered in glass shards! That was over 20 years ago, I have yet to make another fruit pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to all of you!!
    Cute baby!
    This recipe was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the mark of a great dessert - even crumbled, it was devoured. Good save!

    ReplyDelete
  7. baby strawberry - i love that name. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i had this experience with my clafoutis. it ended up all over my floor :(

    at least it was salvageable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made mine with nectarines... you must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole clumped up birthday thing is actually kinda stressful. We have a similar phenomena in our family. Sorry about your messed up cake but doesn't look like anybody minded all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baby S-adorable!
    Cake--good. I will for sure make it with cranberries sometime during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the black and white couch (LOL) Nectarines are so delicious and this recipe is very creative!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughters' birthdays are just nine days apart, but it sounds like you've got the busiest birthday season! If even Baby Strawberry went for this cake, it must be a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trust me--spend the $ and get the LC skillet. Enameled CI is much easier to deal with than naked CI.

    ReplyDelete