December 2, 2010

Best Ever Lemon Cake

Lemon Cake 

{printable recipe here}
Did you have a great Thanksgiving? I hope so! Ours went a lot different than planned. We were going to go to Utah to see family but decided against it due to bad weather. We ended up staying home and I was happy to relax. Since we made our plans so late in the game, dinners were already planned so we were going to scoot on in to dinner with my tall man's family and a later dinner with my cousins and not really worry about cooking at all. My husband left first thing to play football with the guys from Church and while the kids and I were getting ready to go meet them at the park there was a knock at the door- my tall man with a nasty dislocated finger. Our plans went out the window and we spent some time with the nice, patient people at urgent care and the er. The doctors laughed about how many guys were in with football injuries, my husband said over and over again, while he sat with a throbbing, tangled finger for a few hours, "I'm never playing sports again" (believe that when I see it), and we ate turkey sandwiches while we waited on xrays. It was memorable to say the least.

Thanksgiving Baby StrawberryBaby Strawberry at Thanksgiving Dinner
We did make it to our dinners and had awesome food and better company. The rest of the week flew and here we are, December already. I've been working on a handmade felt advent calendar (like the pottery barn kids one here) and it's not done yet! My poor, hungry husband has been eating sandwiches and breakfast for dinner while I stitch away as often as I can. Good thing my kids are little and don't know one day from another. I did squeeze in this lemon cake and it's a winner. It's made with a mix (once again, half of my readers just unsubscribed and the other half are finally thinking about making one of my recipes) and ridiculously delicious. The recipe comes from a Church friend, Cyndi Reis, who is an amazing cook. She brought us dinner after Baby Strawberry was born and this dessert was the start of the show. We offered to share with my brother in law who was over but after we tried the cake we realized we shouldn't have shared, if you know what I mean! I knew I needed to the get the recipe right away and truly value my photocopied recipe cards Cyndi brought over. I figured it was time to put the recipe on my blog so I wouldn't risk it being lost/colored on/cut into pieces by my little preschooler.

Really, try this cake, even if you're against mixes. The cake is moist and flavorful. I'm all about the frosting and can usually take or leave the cake but this lemon cake is really better than frosting (I can't believe I said that!) It's so good I might have to put down my sewing and make it again. And I forgot to post the winner for the CSNStores Giveaway- Naomi. Shoot me an email (it's on the top right).There's lots of baking to be done with Christmas right around the corner. I'll be back soon!

Photobucket 
Cyndi's Lemon Cake
recipe adapted from Cyndi Reis

{printable recipe here}

1 boxed lemon cake mix (I like Betty Crocker)
1 small box instant lemon pudding
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla (that and the zest are my addition and optional but recommended!)
4 eggs

Combine ingredients in stand mixer and mix for five minutes on medium. Pour into ungreased cake pan (about 9 x 13 or two 8-9" rounds) and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare glaze:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup orange juice
3 cups powdered sugar

Warm butter, water and juice in microwave for about a minute, or until they are just warm and will nicely combine. Stir well and pour over powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.

Prick cake all over with a fork and pour glaze on top. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. This cake looks yummy. I have a chocolate orange bundt cake that starts with a mix. It is delish! Hope hubby heals quickly. I'm sure ER's love holiday football games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that looks tasty!! We had a few injuries at our turkey bowl too! Glad your hubby is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that picture of baby strawberry makes it hard for me to notice the cake..she is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We spent Thanksgiving at our home with the missionaries from our ward. (One of them had sustained major injures in our ward turkey bowl.) Tell your tall man "hi" for us and hope he heals well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, I don't know which is prettier--the cake or Baby Strawberry! What an absolute doll she is. Gets cuter all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love this lemon cake! (I've actually given it out as my Christmas treats to neighbors a couple of times the last couple of years.) I have never tried the zest or vanilla though, I bet that makes it even better! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful Anne! I love lemon flavored anything, the cake sounds delicious. And easy enough for me to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get well soon Mr Strawberry! And baby strawberry is definitely growin up to be a real looker. She is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake looks delicious. Love lemon. Have to try this one. Fantastic.

    Beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i adore lemon cake..... but not as much as I adore that beautiful photo of baby strawberry !

    Have a wonderful Christmas !!
    Hugs,
    Auntie Queen B

    ReplyDelete