January 18, 2011

Orange Poppyseed Muffins

Orange PoppySeed Muffins 
I love to try a fancy, new dessert recipe but I also really appreciate a simple Tuesdays with Dorie recipe like these muffins. Right now it's citrus season and the trees are beautiful and heavy with delicious fruit, so I had a hard choice to make between lemon and orange for these babies. I went with orange merely because my little man asked so nicely (it is his favorite color still!) These muffins came together quickly and were super yummy, especially after the glaze went on top. I even subbed in 1/3 whole wheat flour and no one was the wiser. I can't seem to get my muffins to stay fresh more than one day (tips anyone?) but I am going to make these again for Sunday breakfast for sure. My favorite muffin from Dorie is still her Orange Berry muffins but this was a fun chance of pace. Get the recipe from Betsy or from Dorie's wonderful book here or try my favorite Lemon Poppyseed Muffin recipe. It's a classic. Just take it easy on the mixing and have a quick and special breakfast! Come back later this week for my first try with fondant (and overly ambitious pirate cupcakes for my little man's birthday!)

PS- I used some silicone muffin cups for the first time. NOT recommended in case you were wondering! I scored a whole stack of heart shaped ones for a buck at Goodwill at thought it would be fun, but instead of getting heart shaped muffins I have blobs in muffin liners that need to be washed (lame!) I do, however, 100 percent recommend buying a few Silpats to line your baking sheets. No more burned cookies or muffins, easy clean up, a million uses- I can't say enough about these things.

14 comments:

  1. Love my silpat. Pretty muffins. Can't wait to see those cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy muffins! Great job! I love my silpats. Don't bake without them anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the silicone muffin cups too, they are the best!
    Your muffins are rockin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange muffins sound amazing! I totally agree with you on the silicone muffin cups -- I don't get it! Ugly muffins and more mess? No thanks! Great job anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the silicone review, I wondered about them. I wanted to try orange but the lemons just spoke to me! Next time. I love these muffins. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try these with orange, too!
    My husband bought me some Lego shaped silicone pans a few years ago and I've never been able to get anything out of them in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, there's nothing like a good muffin. Sometimes that's all one really needs. These orange poppy seed babies look just perfect to me. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, I saw cute silicon molds at target..I was wondering about those. Gorgeous muffins

    ReplyDelete
  9. my silicone cups are hit n miss... i find the muffins dont get brown enough with them... they always look a little washed out. i wonder what i'm doing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip on the silicone muffin pans! Your muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crazy about oraneg poppyseed bread!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! If you can believe it I have yet to bake a poppyseed muffin... I think it's a sign that I need to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for baking with me this week, they look great! I've been on the fence with buying silicone liners, now I know I am not missing anything, thanks!

    ReplyDelete